|Maintain a healthy weight
|Avoid the night shift, if possible|
|Limit the amount of alcohol you drink|
|Prevent sexually transmitted infections|
Simply put, it is the inability to get pregnant after trying for one full year. When you think about it, conception is a complicated process.
Pregnancy depends on healthy sperm by the man, healthy eggs by the woman, unblocked fallopian tubes for the sperm to reach the egg, the sperm’s ability to fertilize the egg and the implantation of the normal, fertilized egg in the uterus.
Even when that all happens, the embryo must be healthy and the woman’s hormonal environment favourable for its development. If any part of the process is affected, infertility can result.
At Women’s Care, we specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of infertility. We are dedicated to providing personalized treatment with the goal of taking your dreams of having a baby and turning them into reality.
Treatment of fertility problems depends on the cause. Medication, surgery or a combination of both may be used even if the cause is unknown. Some of the causes are:
• Ovulation disorder
• Blocked fallopian tubes
• Abnormal structure of the uterus
• Uterine fibroids
• Hormonal imbalance
• No sperm cells formed
• Few sperm cells
• Malformed sperm cells that die before they can reach the egg
In addition to reproductive issues, infertility may also occur as a result of age, genetics, environment, underlying medical conditions, or dietary and lifestyle habits. For example, if you are overweight or underweight, your fertility may suffer. Do you regularly engage in excessive or strenuous exercise? The energy demands placed on your body during your exercise routines may consequently affect your fertility. Furthermore, if you suffer from an underlying medical condition, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, the condition may affect your ability to conceive and carry a foetus beyond the first trimester.
If you suspect that either you or your spouse may be affected by infertility, consult with our obstetrician or gynaecologist. Our team at The Fertility Centre of Feenixx is ready to help you with your fertility issues.
• Your medical history of sexually transmitted and non-sexually transmitted diseases
• Your family history of fertility and infertility
• Past family planning methods, such as contraception and abortions
• Your current prescribed or over-the-counter medications and supplements
• Outcomes of your past pregnancies
• Use of illicit substances or drugs, tobacco, or alcohol
What’s the cause of infertility? Who is at fault? The man? The woman? The timing? We’ll find out! With many years of experience in helping couples start the families they’ve always dreamed of, we are completely dedicated to finding the cause of each family’s infertility. We will design an individualized treatment program that we will personally supervise.
The evaluation process typically takes one completed monthly cycle, and may include:
• Hormonal assessment through blood work and ultrasounds.
• Semen analysis and culture.
• Hysterosalpingogram (HSG), an x-ray that detects blockages or malformations in the fallopian tubes.
• Endometrial biopsy, which can detect any inflammation in the uterine cavity.
• Surgical evaluation and treatment including hysteroscopy and laparoscopy, which enables the physician to diagnose and correct problems in the uterus and pelvic cavity.
• Cycle monitoring, which involves hormone testing through blood work and ultrasounds.
Once the evaluation process is complete, we will develop a customized treatment plan based on the diagnosis, age and goals. Initial treatment options may include:
• Ovulation induction using fertility medications including clomiphene citrate
• Timed intercourse cycles
• Surgical treatment including hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, myomectomy and removal of the endometrium
The Women Care and the Infertility Centre teams understand both the physical and emotional circumstances that revolve around issues of fertility. We are equipped to provide and discuss a number of treatment options that best suit you and your family’s needs.